The last two days I attended the Global Leadership Summit hosted by the Willow Creek Association and was summarily blown away by the content and speakers. One of the resounding themes of the GLS was to “jus’ do sump’m,” as Newark, NJ, Mayor Cory Booker put it, and my “sump’m” is starting my own blog.
I love to write, whether it be music, poetry, or simply sharing my thoughts, and you are welcome to come along for the ride. I doubt I will have something to share every day, but I intend to share everything that comes along my path that is worth sharing.
For starters, here are some of my favorite quotes from the GLS:
- “Local is like cheap; it won’t get you where you want to go.” Seth Godin, popular blogger and best-selling author, referring to the description “local” when applied to churches
- “Just because the tide is out does not mean there is less water in the ocean.” Also Seth Godin.
- “With action trumping everything you get more times at bat in the same amount of time.” Len Schlesinger, President of Babson College
- “Who you are speaks so loudly I can’t hear a word that you say.” Cory Booker, Mayor of Newark, NJ
- “We can plan and prepare, but only God can make it rain.” Steven Furtick, Lead Pastor of Elevation Church in Charlotte, NC
- “When you have nothing, God becomes everything.” Mama Maggie Gobran, CEO and Founder of Stephens Children Ministry, and Nobel Peace Prize nominee
- “Speak up for those who cannot speak up for themselves.” Proverbs 31:8, quoted by Michelle Rhee as she explained why she founded StudentsFirst
- “When leaders seem just like us, we tend to think we can be just like them.” John Dickson, speaker, author, singer and historian
- “When you are managing your own image people do not trust.” Patrick Lencioni, Founder and President of The Table Group
- “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!” Isaiah 43:18, quoted by Erwin McManus, author, speaker, artist, filmmaker, and leader
- “Outside of God we are trapped in the creat-ed order. Inside of God we are reconnected to the creat-ive order.” Also Erwin McManus
I have come away reminded that we are made to do new things; we are not condemned to mindless repetition. With God’s help and especially in this day and age we can change the world from right where we are. We only have to choose to do so.