I love Christmas music (as long as you are playing it after Thanksgiving and no later than Christmas Day or New Year’s Day at the latest), so I thought I would share a few of my favorites with you.
- Snow Angels – A truly unique collection of original Christmas songs from an exceptional indie band. I particularly enjoy All I Ever Get for Christmas Is Blue and Snowed in with You.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas – What’s not to like about this masterpiece? There’s nothing like a little Charlie Brown to usher in the Christmas mood.
- When My Heart Finds Christmas – I love Connick’s gutsy big band arrangements of classic Christmas tunes mixed in with some of his own compositions. Particularly fun are (It Must’ve Been Ol’) Santa Claus and I Pray on Christmas.
- Christmas with Robert Shaw – A veritable compendium of classic carols in timeless arrangements, this massive library of great music makes me want to grab a mug of hot spiced cider and sit by the fire. Shaw’s version of Carol of the Bells is fabulous.
- Joy – For pop-infused Christmas music new and old, look no further. Sometimes I just want to hear up pop Christmas music, and here is where I go.
- Christmas Time Is Here – I love Erin’s playful, jazzy carols. I have used several of them in church services very successfully, but I just love to hear and play these arrangements.
- A Timeless Christmas – Israel Houghton takes your favorite Christmas pieces both classical and traditional and wrestles them into fantastic and mind-bending Gospel/jazz arrangements. This album always puts a bounce in my step!
What are some of your favorite holiday recordings?