Whether or not your church should have a choir is not the right question. So often we ask questions about details when we have not looked at the big picture.
Some better big picture questions:
- Am I providing opportunities for all of the musicians in my church to use their gifts?
- What styles of music minister the best to the people of my church?
- What role does music play in the service, and what kinds of bands or ensembles are needed to fill that role?
- If you do not yet have a choir, do you have enough musicians for the groups you already have, and do you have someone who could lead a choir well?
- If you have a choir, are they effectively leading in worship or are they simply a social club that meets regularly?
- What does my senior pastor support and believe in regards to music?
- What kinds of people is the church trying to reach?
These are just a few questions. What questions would you ask?